- 675 gm Best quality plain chocolate, (1 1/2lb)
- 350 gm Unsalted butter, cool (12oz)
- 9 x Large eggs
- 150 gm Caster sugar, (6oz)
- 1 sm Pot of thick jersey cream Icing sugar for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 C/425 F/gas mark 7
- Butter a 30cm diameter by 5cm deep (12 x 2 inches) cake tin and line it with greaseproof paper. Heat the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over a pan of warm water till smooth.
- Tip: the bottom of the bowl shouldn't be in contact with the water.
- Remove from the pan to cold a little.
- Beat the Large eggs and sugar together in a bowl over the same simmering water till they start to thicken. Remove from the heat and continue beating till soft peaks are formed. Fold half the Large eggs into the melted chocolate, combine and then fold into the remaining egg mix. Pour into the prepared cake tin, cover with buttered foil and place in a bain-marie of very warm water. Bake for 5 min, remove the foil and then bake for a further 10 min till just set.
- Allow the cake to cold - it will continue to set as it does so, then turn out onto a plate and serve with thick cream and a dusting of icing sugar.