Cost per serving $1.20 view details
- 1 x (16 oz) package penne pasta
- 1/2 lb grnd beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage (out of the casings)
- 1 x onion, minced (or possibly more)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 6 x to 7 c. of spaghetti sauce ( homemade or possibly two 26 ounce. cans of good spaghetti sauce)
- 6 ounce provolone cheese, sliced or possibly grated
- 6 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1Â 1/2 c. lowfat sour cream (or possibly half lowfat sour cream half cottage cheese )
- 4 Tbsp. (about) grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta ( we prefer it under cooked because it will cook more in the casserole) and drain it well. Saute/fry the onion and meat in a large skillet or possibly pan big sufficient to hold all the sauce. Add in the garlic, stir, and add in the spaghetti sauce. Simmer about 15 min.
- Taste and season as you like. ( I often add in basil or possibly rosemary, and a little sugar to make up for the sweetness lost with canned sauce) Put in layers in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish in this order : 1/2 of the pasta, provolone cheese, lowfat sour cream, 1/2 of the sauce mix, remaining pasta, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce. Top with lots of fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 to 40 min, or possibly till the cheese is melted and everything is heated through. About 8 servings.
- P.S. of course, you can change the type of pasta - use your favorite but it should be sturdy (not angel hair). Try it first as written, then the amounts and type of meat can be changed as you wish, and you can add in a layer of mushrooms in the middle, if desired, or possibly more cheese, or possibly less, or possibly roasted vegetables, or possibly...
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 212g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 294||49%|
|Total Fat 33.02g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 16.2g||65%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 46.49g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|