Cost per serving $2.68 view details
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 1/2 c. Unbleached white flour
- 1 quart Lowfat milk, heated
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 pch Nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. Vegetable oil
- 4 c. Minced onions
- 3 x Garlic cloves, chopped or possibly pressed
- 1/2 c. Fresh basil, minced, (2 tsp. dry)
- 1 lrg Head cauliflower, cut in florets
- 6 x Ripe tomatoes, minced or possibly 3 c. canned tomatoes, liquid removed and minced
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb Medium pasta shells
- 1 c. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 c. Shredded mozzarella or possibly mild provolone, (6 ounces) cheese
- Seasoned bread crumbs
- To prepare the Bechamel sauce, heat the butter in a heavy saucepan on medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking or possibly stirring constantly, till a smooth pasteis formed. Add in the heated lowfat milk slowly, a c. at a time, continuing to whisk till the sauce begins to thicken. Add in the mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and let the sauce thicken further on low heat. Remove from heat and cover.
- Saute/fry the onions, garlic, and basil in oil. When the onions are translucent/soft, add in the cauliflower and saute/fry for 5 min or possibly more. Add in the tomatoes and simmer till the cauliflower is tender.
- Cook the pasta al dente and then drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, the sauteed vegetables, and the lemon juice. Fold in the Bechamel sauce. Put half of the pasta mix in an oiled baking dish. Sprinkle on half of each of the cheeses. Add in the rest of the pasta mix and then the rest of the cheese. Top with seasoned bread crumbs and bake covered at 375 degrees for about 30 min and then uncovered for about 15 min or possibly till bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Yield: 6 servings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 542g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 342||41%|
|Total Fat 38.89g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 18.46g||74%|
|Trans Fat 0.24g|
|Total Carbs 89.21g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||22%|