Cost per recipe $6.74 view details
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cans (2 pound 3 ounce) Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 2 T minced parsley
- 1 T salt (can be less or possibly to taste)
- 1 T sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large eggs, at room temp.
- 1 1/2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg. (8 ounce) Mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 T minced parsley
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. MAKE SAUCE: In hot oil in 5 qt Dutch oven or possibly pot, saute onion and garlic 5 min. Fold in rest of sauce ingredients, mashing tomatoes with fork (or possibly tomatoes may be mashed in blender first then added). Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer mix, covered, stirring occasionally 1 1/2 hrs.2. MAKE MANICOTTI: In medium bowl, put together 6 large eggs, the flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups water with electric mixer, beat just till smooth. NOT FROTHY - let stand 1/2 hour.
- 3. Slowly heat 8-inch frying pan. Pour in 3 tbsp batter, rotating frying pan quickly to spread batter evenly over bottom. Cook over medium heat till top is dry but bottom not brown. Turn out on wire rack to cool. Continue cooking till all batter is used. As the manicotti is cooled, stack them with wax paper between them. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4. MAKE FILLING: In large bowl put together ricotta, Mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmesan, the large eggs, salt, pepper and parsley; beat with wooden spoon blend well. Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each manicotti and roll up.
- 5. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce into each of two 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dishes. Place eight rolled manicotti, seam side down, in single layer; top with five more. Cover with 1 cup sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 1/2 hour or possibly till bubbly.
- 6. TO FREEZE: Line baking dish with large piece of foil; assemble as directed. Fold foil over to seal, and freeze in dish. When frzn, remove dish. TO SERVE: Unwrap, place in baking dish and let stand 1 hour to thaw. Bake, covered, 1 hour in 350 degree oven. (This recipe is worth the effort.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2824g|
|Calories from Fat 2420||55%|
|Total Fat 270.74g||338%|
|Saturated Fat 117.4g||470%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 236.28g||63%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.4g||45%|