Cost per recipe $1.60 view details
- 1 1/2 c. Slightly hot water
- 1 1/2 tsp Instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp Malt pwdr or possibly syrup
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 1/2 x 1/2 c. bread flour, preferably unbleached , (up to 5)
- 6 quart Water
- 2 Tbsp. Malt syrup
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Cornmeal for sprinkling, (optional)
- Whisk together water, yeast, oil, sugar and malt. Stir in one c. of flour, then salt, then most of remaining flour. Knead 10-12 min to make a very stiff dough. Cover and let dough rest on a board about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with baking parchment and sprinkle generously with corn meal. Fill a large soup pot or possibly Dutch oven three quarters full with water. Add in the malt syrup and salt. Bring water to a boil. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide dough in 10 to 12 sections and form into 10 inch long strips. Roll the ends together to seal and make a ring. Place on a very lightly floured surface near your stove. Let bagels rest 15 to 20 min. Bagels should have a 'half proof' - they should rise halfway or possibly appear puffy.
- Prepare two more baking sheets. Line one with a kitchen towel, the other with parchment paper that has been sprinkled with cornmeal (optional).
- Reduce water to simmer and add in bagels a few at a time. Allow to come to surface and simmer thirty seconds. Turn over and cook other side about 45 seconds (total 1 1/2 min). Place on prepared, towel-lined baking sheet.
- Leave plain or possibly sprinkle on topping of choice.
- Place in oven, reduce heat to 425 F. and bake till done, about 17-22 min, turning bagels once, when almost baked. If you have a baking stone, finish bagels on the stone directly.
- Yield: 10 to 12 bagels.
- Topping variations: (Sprinkle on after bagels have been boiled and are on baking sheet)
- Sesame seeds Poppy seeds Dry or possibly rehydrated garlic granules Dry or possibly rehydrated onion flakes Chopped fresh garlic Chopped fresh onions Caraway seeds Coarse salt
- The 'everything' bagel: Sprinkle on to taste a variety of toppings including: chopped onion flakes, poppy seeds, granulated garlic, and coarse salt.
- Adjuncts to dough: Frzn minced or possibly dry cranberries (1 c.) Frzn or possibly dry blueberries (3/4 c.) Dry cherries (3/4 c.) Granola (1/4 c.)
- Extracts (such as maple) (l tsp.) Nuts and seeds (1/4 c.) Citrus zest (1-2 tsp.) Miniature chocolate chips (1/4 c.) Shredded cheddar cheese (about l c.) Fresh herbs (1-3 tsp.) Replace some of the flour for oat bran, wheat bran, cornmeal, kamut, spelt, etc.
- (Methods and tips) (Recipes)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 6461g|
|Calories from Fat 165||11%|
|Total Fat 18.99g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 1.79g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.35g|
|Total Carbs 284.1g||76%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.7g||29%|