Cost per recipe $5.59 view details
- Â Â Although tarts and quiche would not be described as traditionally Irish, they
- Â Â form part of the new style of Irish cooking which uses indigenous ingredients
- Â Â such as bacon, buttermilk, cheese, leeks and oats in a modern context.
- 1/4 c. old-fashioned oatmeal (McCann's Irish Oatmeal preferred)
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp. cool butter (see note)
- 3 ounce swiss cheese, shredded (3/4 c.)
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 8 slc bacon
- 4 x leeks, white part only, washed and sliced
- 4 x Large eggs
- 1Â 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 4 ounce Dubliner Irish cheese, shredded (1 c.) (or possibly other hard cheese)
- 1 Tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- Â Â Dash cayenne pepper
- Â Â Salt, pepper
- Â Â Lightly grease a 9- or possibly 10 inch quiche pan.
- To make crust: Combine oatmeal, flours, salt, butter and cheese in food processor and pulse till mix resembles bread crumbs. Add in water and mix to create a dough. Process lightly till it forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 min.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll or possibly pat dough to create 12 inch-diameter circle. Transfer to quiche pan. Fold excess dough in and press against sides. Pierce crust with fork. Cover and refrigerateabout 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line crust with foil and fill with pie weights.
- Bake about 12 min. Remove from oven. Remove foil and weights and let crust cold. Maintain oven temperature.
- To make filling: Fry bacon in large skillet till crisp. Drain on paper towels and crumble over crust. Scatter leeks over bacon.
- In large bowl, combine Large eggs, buttermilk, cheese, mustard, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Pour filling over bacon and leeks. Bake 30 to 35 min or possibly till filling is set.
- Note: Use real butter or possibly stick margarine. Don't substitute reduced-fat spreads; their higher water content often yields less-satisfactory results.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1354g|
|Calories from Fat 1876||68%|
|Total Fat 210.3g||263%|
|Saturated Fat 95.03g||380%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 118.06g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.0g||10%|