Cost per serving $3.26 view details
- 1/2 x recipe Pate Brisee (listed below)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 x strips bacon cut 1" pcs
- 2 med onions cut small dice
- 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 lrg Large eggs
- 1 lrg egg yolk
- 1Â 1/2 c. grated Gruyere cheese - (6 ounce)
- 1 pch freshly-grated nutmeg
- Â Â Coarse salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1Â 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c. chilled unsalted butter cut small pcs
- 1/8 c. ice water - (to 1/4)
- Make the Pate Brisee: In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add in butter, and process till the mix resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds. With machine running, add in ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse till dough holds together without being wet or possibly sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds.
- To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add in more ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time. Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator, and refrigerateat least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough less than 1/8-inch thick. Use a 5-inch fluted cookie cutter to cut into rounds. Fit into five 4-inch nonstick tart pans. Transfer to refrigerator to refrigeratefor 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in bacon, and cook till fat renders and bacon is crisp and brown, about 8 min. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add in onions to the same skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring frequently, till onions are dark golden, 30 to 45 min. Combine onions and bacon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Divide half of the cheese proportionately among the pans. Sprinkle with bacon and onion mix, then top with remaining cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together lowfat milk, cream, Large eggs, and egg yolk. Season with, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Divide proportionately among pans, pouring over cheese.
- Transfer to oven, and bake till just set in the center, 30 to 35 min. Cold on a wire rack for about 10 min before serving.
- This recipe yields 5 four-inch tarts.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 237g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 509||70%|
|Total Fat 57.48g||72%|
|Saturated Fat 28.66g||115%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.18g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|