Cost per serving $2.50 view details
- 2 lb Thick salt cod, desalted and cooked (see Notes below), and
- Cut into 2- by 3-inch pcs (reserve 4 c. of the soaking liquid) Flour for dredging 1/2 c. pure Spanish extra virgin olive oil FOR THE SOFRITO: 1/4 c. pure Spanish extra virgin olive oil 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and finely minced 6 cloves garlic, finely minced 2 large onions, finely minced 1 c. finely minced liquid removed pimientos 2 1/2 c. canned crushed tomatoes 1 Tbsp. Spanish paprika or possibly mild paprika 1/4 c. dry white wine Salt and freshly grnd black pepper to taste TO COMPLETE THE DISH: 4 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices 3 pimientos, cut into strips, for garnish Fried Bread Rounds (recipe follows), as an accompaniment Notes: One day in advance of serving, rinse the salt cod under cool running water. Cut it into 2- by 3-inch pcs, place in a bowl, and cover with cool water. Change the water several times till it is no longer salty. This process should take 24 hrs. Drain the fish, place it in a small saucepan, cover with fresh water, and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to low and simmer 5 min. Drain and cold the fish. 1. Dredge the cod in the flour. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil till fragrant, then cook the fish till lightly browned, 3 to 4 min on each side. Remove the fish from the heat and set aside.
- 2. For the sofrito, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil till fragrant, then cook the bell peppers, stirring, till slightly softened, 3 to 4 min. Reduce the heat to low, add in the garlic and onions, and cook, stirring, till tender, 6 to 8 min, adding more oil if necessary. Add in the pimientos, tomatoes, paprika, and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, till thickened, another 10 to 12 min.
- 3. Place the reserved salt cod soaking water in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the potato slices till partially tender, 10 to 15 min.
- 4. Add in the codfish chunks to the sofrito and cook over low heat 10 min. Arrange the cooked potato slices on top of the fish, don't stir, cover the pan, and shake it several times. Cook over low heat an additional 10 min so which the potatoes absorb the fish flavor. Transfer to a large serving platter and garnish with the pimientos. Serve with Pan Frito (Fried Bread Rounds) and Arroz Blanco (see CUBA07.TXT).
- Makes 8servings BACALAO A LA VISZCAINA
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 113g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||7%|
|Total Fat 2.69g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.52g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|