This is a print preview of "Baba Ghanoush (Eggplant Appetizer)" recipe.
Baba Ghanoush (Eggplant Appetizer) Recipe
2 x Eggplants, about 1 1/2 lbs.
1/4 c. Lemon juice
1/4 c. Tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 x Cloves garlic, crushed Salt to taste Extra virgin olive oil Freshly minced parsley, Paprika or possibly pomegranate Seeds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with foil. Wipe eggplant and pierce with point of sharp knife. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 35 to 45 min. When cold sufficient to handle, peel eggplants and remove seeds. Place in container of food processor and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Add in tahini, garlic, and salt. Process till smooth.
- Spread onto serving platter and pour small amount of extra virgin olive oil over top. Garnish with minced parsley, paprika, or possibly pomegranate seeds. Serve with warmed pita bread and crudites. Cover and store in refrigerator.
- Notes: Baba ghanoush is a traditional dish of Lebanon and Syria, and is often served with raw or possibly blanced vegetables. The combined flavors of eggplant, garlic, and lemon juice are very Mediteranean. For a smokey flavor, grill eggplant over warm charcoal instead of baking in the oven.
- Variation: In Greece, extra virgin olive oil is used instead of tahini. In Syria yogurt is added for a lighter tasting dish. In Turkey it is called Hunkar Begendi, tahini and garlic are omitted and 1 c. white sauce and 1/3 c. grated cheese are mixed into the eggplant and heated before serving.