Cost per serving $0.59 view details
- 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 4 tsp active dry yeast - (1/2 ounce)
- 2 c. bread flour
- 3 lrg Large eggs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 pch salt
- 4 ounce butter - (1 stick) melted
- 1 x vanilla bean split, seeds scraped
- 3Â 3/4 c. water
- 2Â 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 x lemons zested (4 tspns)
- 2 x oranges zested (2 tbspns)
- 3/4 c. dark rum
- Scald the lowfat milk and cold to lukewarm. Bloom the yeast in the lowfat milk with 1/2 c. of the bread flour in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir to create a sponge and allow to rise till doubled.
- Gradually add in the Large eggs, followed by the remaining 1 1/2 c. of bread flour, the sugar and the salt. When you have a soft dough formed, slowly beat in the butter till a smooth dough is formed.
- Let the dough rest for about 20 min while you butter and flour a large baba mold or possibly bundt pan. Once the dough has rested, place the dough in the prepared baba mold or possibly cake pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof in a hot, draft-free place till they have nearly reached the tops of the mold, about 40 min.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the mold on a sheet pan and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 min, or possibly till the top of the baba is golden and the sides have begun to pull away from the sides of the pan slightly. Prepare the soaking liquid while the babas are baking. Remove the babas from the oven and cold on wire racks for 5 - 10 min.
- For the Rum Syrup: In a 1-qt saucepan, combine the vanilla bean and seeds, water, sugar, lemon and orange zests. Bring the contents to a boil and stir with a wooden spoon to ensure which the sugar will dissolve. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cold for 30 min. Once cooled, add in all but 2 Tbsp. of the rum to the syrup. Reserve the remaining 2 Tbsp. on the side. Strain the syrup through a fine meshed sieve and throw away the solids.
- Set the wire rack which the baba is cooling on over a sheet pan. Using a toothpick, poke holes all over the top of the baba and, when the baba is just hot, pour the just hot syrup over the baba and allow to sit till the liquid is absorbed, about 5 min. Turn the baba out onto the cooling rack and allow to drain over the sheet pan for 1/2 hour.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbsp. of rum over the top of the baba and serve, with whipped cream and seasonal fresh fruits. You can also pour more rum over the babas, if you so desire.
- The baba can be stored, loosely covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for a day, if necessary.
- This recipe yields 1 (9-inch baba) 10 to 12 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 186g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 83||22%|
|Total Fat 9.43g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5.36g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 60.04g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|