Cost per recipe $79.44 view details
- 1 c. white short-grain rice*
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar (available at Oriental markets, specialty foods shops, and some supermarkets)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dry Sherry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 x avocado (preferably California)
- fresh lemon juice for rubbing the avocado
- three (8- by 7-inch) pcs of toasted nori (dry laver)*
- 1/2 x cucumber peeled and cut
- 1/4 lb fresh King crab meat thawed if frzn, picked over, and liquid removed , about
- wasabi (Japanese horseradish) paste* to taste for the sushi plus additional as an accompaniment if you like
- soy sauce as an accompaniment
- pickled ginger* as an accompaniment if you like
- *Available at Oriental markets and some specialty foods shops
- Make the rice:In a large fine sieve rinse the rice under running cool water till the water runs clear with no milky residue and drain it well. In a large heavy saucepan combine the rice with 1 1/4 c. water, bring the water to a boil, and simmer the rice, covered tightly, for 15 min, or possibly till the
- water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove the pan from the heat, let the rice stand, covered tightly, for 10 min, and transfer it to a jelly-roll pan, spreading it in an even layer. Keep the rice hot, covered. In a saucepan whisk together the vinegar, the sugar, the Sherry, and the salt, simmer the mix till the sugar is dissolved, and let it cold. Sprinkle the rice with as much of the vinegar mix as necessary to moisten it lightly, tossing it carefully, and cover it with a dampened cloth. (Don't refrigeratethe rice.) The rice may be made 3 hrs in advance and kept, covered with the dampened cloth, at room temperature.
- Peel and pit the avocado, rubbing it with the lemon juice, and cut it into
- 1/4-inch-thick strips. Heat the nori in a preheated 350Â°F. oven for 10 min, or possibly till it is softened slightly, and keep it hot. Working with one sheet of nori at a time and with a long side facing you, spread about 3/4 c. of the rice in an even layer on each sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the long sides. Arrange some of the avocado strips horizontally across the middle of the rice and arrange some of the cucumber strips and the crab meat on top of the avocado. Dab the crab meat with the wasabi and beginning with a long side roll up the nori tightly jelly-roll fashion. Cut each roll with a sharp knife into 3/4-inch-thick slices and serve the rolls with the soy sauce, the additional wasabi, and the ginger.
- Makes about 24 to 30 pcs.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 669g|
|Calories from Fat 121||11%|
|Total Fat 13.54g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 2.08g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 196.17g||52%|
|Dietary Fiber 17.9g||60%|