Cost per serving $1.64 view details
- 1 c. Dry white beans, such as flageolets, soaked overnight
- 1/2 c. Wheat berries, soaked overnight
- 6 c. Water
- 1 x Leafy celery top
- 1 piece carrot
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Light extra virgin olive oil or possibly canola oil
- 2 x Garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tsp Extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Onion, minced
- 3 x Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 x Carrots, diced
- 1 x Parsnip, diced
- 1/2 sm Head savoy cabbage, halved and cored and coarsely minced, divided use
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh sage or possibly 3/4-tsp. dry sage
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Â Â Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 14 ounce Diced tomatoes, canned, with juice
- 5 tsp Vegetarian bouillon
- 1/2 lb Green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1+1/2-inch lengths or possibly shorter, blanched and refreshed
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat-leaf
- 2 Tbsp. Minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. Kale pesto, see recipe
- 3/4 c. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional garnish
- MAKES 4-qts; 8 as main course.
- BEANS AND WHEAT BERRIES: Rinse the soaked beans and wheat berries and put them in a pressure cooker. Add in the water, leafy piece of celery, chunk of carrot, bay leaf or possibly two, light extra virgin olive oil or possibly canola oil and garlic cloves, halved, green centers removed. Stir well. The pressure cooker should be about half full, no more than two-thirds full. Cover and lock; heat to full pressure. Let cook under pressure about 2 min. Turn off the heat and let the cooker stand on the same burner for about 1 hour or possibly till it cools of it's own accord. Throw away the celery; mash the cooked chunk of carrot.
- Remove the bay leaf and boiled garlic (if you prefer). Pour the beans and wheat berries into a large strainer over a 4-c. or possibly large measuring bowl.
- Blanch the green beans in plenty of boiling water for abotu 60 to 90 seconds. Transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain. Set aside.
- SOUP: While the cooker cools, start the soup. In a large pot or possibly Dutch oven
- (5-6 quart), heat (extra) virgin extra virgin olive oil to medium and add in the onion. Cook, stirring, till soft, 4 to 5 min. Add in the chopped garlic, diced carrot, diced parsnip, half of the minced cabbage, sage (minced or possibly chiffonade) and rosemary. Cook, stirring, till fragrant, about 4 minute more. Add in pinches of salt and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Finally add in the tomatoes with juice, water reserved from pressure cooker, vegetarian bouillon (cubes or possibly paste) and the rest of the cabbage. Add in water to cover the vegetables by about 1/2-inch or possibly more. Bring to a simmer (do no boil); cover; reduce heat; and simmer gently at least 15 min. Add in the green beans, white beans and wheat berries. Heat through. Add in parsley, cilantro and kale pesto. Turn off heat and let stand about 5 min.
- Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, rubbed sage, garlic pwdr. Serve with a warmed crusty french roll. Offer the Parmesan at table.
- (The soup will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
- Phytopia Pesto.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 320g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 50||24%|
|Total Fat 5.68g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.25g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.4g||28%|