Layering for Bundt cake begins with 1/4 of walnut mixture in bottom and up sides of pan, then about 1/3 of the cake batter. Smooth over bottom nut mixture, then..........
.....complete Bundt layers with rest of the walnut mixture and remaining cake batter on top. Swirl with table knife lightly through layers (not shown.)
VERSION 2 ~ Baked in 9" x 13" pan. I’m partial to “self frosted” cakes and this one has a tasty cinnamon walnut crunch for both topping and filling layer.
Layering for 9" x 13" pan begins with half cake batter on bottom; sprinkled with half walnut mixture, and remaining half cake batter. Swirl lightly with table knife through these 3 layers, then.........
This recipe brings fond memories of a favorite aunt who was a terrific cook. (My cousin and I used to say the only thing we wanted when Aunt Birdie passed away was her recipe box!) The recipe works equally well as a Bundt cake or as a 9" x 13" cake. This is the only sour cream coffee cake recipe I’ve ever seen that starts with a cake mix (rather than from scratch) which makes it quicker and easier. (It’s also one you can easily reduce calories, carbs and fat. Just start with a Reduced Sugar Cake box mix, sub light sour cream for regular; and sub half the brown sugar with a sugar baking substitute such as Splenda. The 9" x 13" cake in photos was prepared this way and everyone said they couldn’t even tell it was a reduced version.) This recipe is certainly good on the first day made, but it mellows in flavor a day or two later, and freezes well too. Aunt Birdie’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake has been a consistent “ringer” whenever I serve it and I think you’ll have the same response.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (can also use white granulated sugar)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- CAKE BATTER:
- 1 18.25-ounce package yellow cake mix (âMoist Supremeâ or âSuper Moistâ are best for this)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
- In large bowl combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and oil, beating until well mixed.
- FOR BUNDT PAN: Sprinkle 1/4 of the walnut mixture into greased Bundt pan to coat the sides and bottom. Pour about one third of the cake batter over that. Sprinkle remaining walnut mixture atop and end layers with the remaining cake batter. Run a table knife through to the middle, lightly swirling layers. Bake 45-50 minutes or till cake tests done. Cool upright in pan 10-15 minutes then turn out on rack to finish cooling.
- FOR 9" X 13" BAKING PAN: Pour half of cake batter into greased baking pan. Sprinkle with half of walnuts mixture. Pour remaining half of cake batter on top. Run a table knife lightly through these 3 layers to swirl (see photo). End layers by sprinkling the last half of walnuts mixture on top. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on wire rack
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 78g|
|Recipe makes 18 servings|
|Calories from Fat 105||42%|
|Total Fat 11.96g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2.71g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 34.24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|