What is the first vegetable that pops into your mind when you think about spring? Is it
For me it’s asparagus, which is kind of funny, because today asparagus is shipped in and available in grocery stores year round. It’s not like asparagus is only out for a brief time (like garlic scapes), only to be briefly cherished before disappearing until the next season. Asparagus is always around. But it is the springtime asparagus that is so full of flavor and bright color. Captured at its peak and in season, asparagus is my springtime vegetable.
So when I was asked to do a cooking segment with spring flavors, I knew I would make something with asparagus.
Here’s a tart that is super easy to make, using frozen puff pastry. Ricotta cheese and feta are combined with lemon and fresh herbs, then topped with shiitake mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and asparagus.
This tart would be a nice addition to brunch, enjoyed as an appetizer, or even for dinner with a salad.
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/4 cup herbs (such as dill, mint, parsley, chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (oil-packed variety)
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed according to the packages directions)
- 10-12 thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Please visit my blog to continue reading (and get the recipe):
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 155g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 257||80%|
|Total Fat 29.1g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 12.62g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.23g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|