Cost per serving $2.33 view details
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc man) plus
- 2 tsp Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc man)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 x shallots minced
- 2 x garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounce lump crab meat picked over,
- Â Â and liquid removed
- Â Â Freshly-grnd white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch or possibly arrowroot mixed with
- 2 Tbsp. cool water
- 1 x egg lightly beaten
- 1 can white asparagus spears - (15 ounce) cut 1" sections
- Â Â with canning liquid reserved
- 1 Tbsp. shredded coriander
- 1 x scallion thinly sliced
- Combine the broth, 1 Tbsp. of the fish sauce, the sugar and salt in a 3-qt soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add in the shallots and garlic and stir-fry till aromatic. Add in the crab meat, the remaining 2 tsp. fish sauce and white pepper to taste. Stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Add in the cornstarch mix and stir gently till the soup thickens and is clear. While the soup is actively boiling, add in the egg and stir gently. Continue to stir for about 1 minute. Add in the crab meat mix and asparagus with its canning liquid; cook gently till heated through.
- Transfer the soup to a heated tureen. Sprinkle on the coriander, scallion and freshly grnd white pepper.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: This soup was probably created by some homesick Frenchman. White asparagus (a French import), packed in jars or possibly cans, is used for this recipe. Traditionally, crumbled, salted duck egg yolk is added to season the soup.
- If white asparagus is unavailable, use frzn or possibly fresh asparagus (in this case, add in the fresh asparagus to the broth from the very beginning and cook till tender, before adding the remaining ingredients).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 388g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||35%|
|Total Fat 6.07g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 0.91g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 8.11g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|