From <www.asparagusrecipes.net> the description of this recipe reads: "Something magical happens when asparagus meets almonds and lemon. Crispy nuts, tart citrus and ... asparagus combine to make a taste sensation. This side dish is elegant for any entertaining party, but easy enough for any ordinary meal."
I made half the recipe following instructions and it was a just as promised- easy and delightful - a great alternative to plain steamed asparagus. Full recipe listed below.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until color turns bright green, 2-3 minutes. (Directions were vague about whether to cover, and whether to wait til water returns to boil before timing begins. I wanted them slightly crisp, so the color and tender-crisp doneness guided my timing more than the minutes.)
- Remove, rinse under cold water and drain. Set aside.*
- Melt butter in small saucepan (I used a medium-size frypan) over medium heat.
- Add almonds (to melted butter) and cook until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes (mine starting browning much sooner so watch these closely and reduce heat as needed.)
- Add lemon juice and cook until liquid reduces and becomes cohesive, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over reserved asparagus. Serve immediately.
- *You may wish to microwave the asparagus a few seconds to rewarm before adding the almond topping in Step 6, so it's served hot.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||80%|
|Total Fat 6.5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.72g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.84g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|