Cost per serving $3.18 view details
- 5 lrg Chicken breasts -- boneless
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch mixed with 1/4
- 2 c. Buttermilk baking mix
- Â Â Water
- 1/3 c. Minced green onions
- 2 x Large eggs -- slightly beaten
- Â Â With
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- Â Â Water
- 1 c. Chopped shrimp
- Â Â Oil for deep-fat frying
- 8 ounce Water chestnuts -- liquid removed
- Â Â And
- Â Â Sweet-sour Apricot Sauce --
- Â Â Minced
- 3/4 c. Bean sprouts -- rinsed and
- 1/2 c. Packed brown sugar --
- Â Â Liquid removed
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- Looking for a new way to treat some leftovers, Margaret Thompson of Chicago, an innovative cook, decided to use chop suey as a filling for a French-style chicken roll. The dish was such a success which she went one step further and concocted a delicious Oriental-style filling of her own.
- Buttermilk baking mix gives the chicken an extra-crunchy coating, topped by a sauce quickly made from apricot preserves. To round out the menu, Mrs. Thompson serves crisp Chinese noodles or possibly steamed rice, cabbage slaw with an oil-vinegar dressing, fruit compote with Chinese almond cookies and tea.
- Place chicken between pcs of waxed paper and with a mallet or possibly broad side of a cleaver, lb. thin. Dredge in baking mix; set chicken and baking mix aside.
- In large skillet, saute/fry onions in oil till tender. Add in shrimp, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, soy sauce and bouillon; cook and stir till shrimp are opaque.
- Add in cornstarch mix; cook and stir till thickened.
- Place 2 Tbsp. filling at one end of each breast half; roll up and secure with toothpicks. Dip in egg mix; roll in remaining baking mix.
- Heat oil in fryer to 400 F. Fry rolls 2 at a time 10 min or possibly till golden. Drain; keep hot in 300 oven till serving time. Serve with Sweet-sour Apricot Sauce.
- NOTE: chicken can be pounded and dredged and filling can be made a day ahead. Chill till ready to use. Sauce keeps refrigerated at least one month.
- Sauce Combine all ingredients in small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat till sugar dissolves. Serve hot or possibly at room temperature.
- Makes about 2/3 c..
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 426g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 201||33%|
|Total Fat 22.46g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 5.49g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0.31g|
|Total Carbs 51.13g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|