- 8 ounce water
- 1 lrg egg
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 ounce Asiago Cheese 1 C Lightly Packed Finely Shredded
- 1 ounce Romano Cheese Or possibly Parmesan, Generous 1/3 C
- 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
- 2 3/4 c. flour">Bread Flour or possibly unbleached flour
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed, or possibly in the order recommended for your machine. Set controls for Basic bread with medium crust and start machine.
- Makes one 1 1/2-lb. loaf.
- I created this bread in response to a recent request on this list, and also because I wanted to make a cheese bread using some of the excellent Asiago cheese which we sell at our food co-op. This bread has an*absolutely wonderful* aroma while it's baking. I've made it twice and it has already become my husband's new all-time favorite bread. It's definitely worth the extra effort to use freshly grated cheeses. The cornmeal adds some body and helps make a crisper crust, but if you cannot eat corn, leave it out and add in more flour (start with 1/4 c. flour and add in more if needed).