This is an easy side dish that goes well with most anything. It started to be Peas and pearl onions but when opening my freezer I found I had no peas but did have artichoke hearts. I served it as a side dish to Orange Glazed Pork Loin Roast referenced below.
- 24 oz frozen artichoke hearts, quatered
- 12 oz frozen pearl onions
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 Tbs Ghee
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 heaping Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs creamy Horseradish (use more if you want to kick it up)
- Kosher salt/white pepper to taste.
- Cook vegetable according to package directions and drain when done.
- In a sauce make a Roux with flour and Ghee. Cook at least a minute after Roux form to remove any flour taste. Gradually whisk in milk breaking up solids as you stir. Bring the Bechamel to a light boil. It will appear thin but will thicken after mustard and horseradish is added. Add both and stir until thick. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Combine with Bechamel with cooked vegetables for service.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 173g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 41||36%|
|Total Fat 4.55g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.54g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 15.82g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|