If you have a container of pesto in your refrigerator that you like, use it instead of the basil leaves, dried apricots, pecans, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and garlic.
1. You can also substitute fresh spinach leaves if you do not have any basil leaves.
2. Apricot Pineapple preserves is also a good substitute.
- 1 Cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 Cup dried apricot halves
- 1/4 Cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half, lengthwise (total 1 lb of chicken)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For pesto, combine in a blender or food processor, the basil, apricot halves, pecans, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and garlic. Process until it forms a paste, stopping every once in a while to scrap down the sides.
- Clean off the chicken of any fatty pieces and pat dry with a paper towel. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and working from the center out, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken pieces is approximately 1/8" thick. Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the chicken with salt. Continue this process until all chicken pieces are 1/8" thick.
- Spread the pesto on one side of each chicken breast. Fold in the sides of each piece and roll up from the short end into a spiral, pressing edges to seal. Fasten the chicken spiral with a wooden toothpick.
- Place the chicken spirals in a glass baking pan Depending upon the size of the chicken pieces, bake for 30-40 minutes. Sart checking the chicken for doneness around the 25 minute mark. When there is 5 minutes left in the baking process, remove the pan from the oven and drain any excess liquid. Baste each chicken piece with the melted apricot preserves, then return the pan to the oven to complete the baking process.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 96g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 94||46%|
|Total Fat 10.75g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1.75g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 15.35g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|