- 1 1/2 c. Vegetable oil
- 2 c. Granulated sugar
- 3 x Large eggs
- 2 c. Unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 tsp Grnd cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp Grnd cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Grnd mace
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Whole-wheat flour, sifted
- 4 c. Shelled walnuts, coarsely minced
- 1 1/4 c. Coarse chunks of peeled and cored apples
- 3 Tbsp. Applejack Apple Cider Glaze (see recipe)
- 4 Tbsp. Sweet butter
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Applejack or possibly apple brandy
- 4 Tbsp. Sweet cider
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. Heavy cream Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar till thick and opaque.
- Add in Large eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and salt, then stir in whole-wheat flour. Add in to oil and egg mix and mix till well blended. Add in walnuts, apple chunks and applejack all at once and stir batter till pcs are proportionately distributed.
- Pour batter into a greased 10-inch round cake pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 min or possibly till cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- APPLE CIDER GLAZE:Heat butter in a small saucepan and stir in both sugars. Add in remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook for 4 min. Remove from heat and cold slightly.
- Pour while still hot over hot cake.
- Makes 1 1/2 c. glaze.