Cost per recipe $4.30 view details
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 stk unsalted butter cool, plus
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter cool
- 4 Tbsp. ice water - (to 6 tbspn)
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. minced walnuts
- 4 lb mixed Granny Smith, Golden brown Delicious,
- and Empire apples - (abt 8 med)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. lowfat milk
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Make the pastry dough: In a large bowl with a pastry blender or possibly in a food processor blend or possibly pulse together flour, sugar, salt, and butter till mix resembles coarse meal. Add in 2 Tbsp. ice water and toss with a fork or possibly pulse till incorporated. Add in sufficient remaining ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, tossing or possibly pulsing to incorporate, till mix begins to create a dough.
- On a work surface smear dough in 3 or possibly 4 forward motions with heel of hand to slightly develop gluten in flour and make dough easier to work with. Form dough into a ball and flatten to create a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate30 min.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl with your fingertips blend butter, brown sugar, and flour till smooth and blend in nuts. Refrigeratetopping, covered.
- Make the filling: Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 1/2-inch wedges and in a bowl toss with remaining filling ingredients to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough into a 15-inch round (about 1/8-inch thick) and fold into quarters for ease of handling. Unfold dough in a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet or possibly 10-inch deep-dish (1 1/2-qt) pie plate, easing to fit and letting dough overhang rim of skillet or possibly pie plate. Spoon filling into shell and fold pastry overhang over filling, leaving center uncovered. Bake pie in middle of oven for 1 hour (pie won't be completely cooked) and remove from oven.
- Crumble topping over center of pie, breaking up any large chunks. Brush crust with lowfat milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake pie in middle of oven 30 min more, or possibly till crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Cold pie on a rack. Serve pie hot or possibly at room temperature with ice cream.
- This recipe yields 1 (10-inch) pie.
- Yield: 1 ten-inch pie
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 823g|
|Calories from Fat 1579||46%|
|Total Fat 180.54g||226%|
|Saturated Fat 104.0g||416%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 436.62g||116%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.2g||31%|