Cost per recipe $5.53 view details
- 3 c. Soft-wheat flour such as White Lily
- Preferably, or possibly all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c. Grated sharp cheddar cheese, chilled
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 c. Lard, chilled
- 1/4 c. Solid vegetable shortening, chilled
- 5 Tbsp. Ice water, up to 7 Tbsp.
- 6 c. Tart baking apples, Rome or possibly Jonathan, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 c. Dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider
- 2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp Anise seeds, grnd
- 1/2 tsp Grnd nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- For the crust, combine the flour with the sugar and salt in a food processor. Scatter the cheese over the flour. Cut the butter, lard and shortening into small pcs, and add in them. Process briefly, till a crumbly meal forms. (Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a bowl with a pastry blender.) Pour in the smaller amount of water, and process or possibly blend till the dough holds together, adding the extra water if needed.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Wrap these in plastic, and chill them for at least 30 min and as long as 24 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the apples with the smaller amount of brown sugar, adding the rest if they taste overly tart. Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Roll out both balls of refrigerated dough on a floured surface. Place one in the bottom of whichever size pie pan you=re using, add in the filling, and top with the second crust. Crimp the edges and prick a few holes in the top to allow the steam to escape. Bake the pie for 50 to 55 min, till the crust seems well set and lightly browned. Check it after 25 to 30 min, covering the edges with foil if they appear to be browning too rapidly.
- Serve the pie hot or possibly at room temperature.
- Yield: 1 10-inch pie or possibly a 9-inch deep-dish pie
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1194g|
|Calories from Fat 1626||64%|
|Total Fat 183.45g||229%|
|Saturated Fat 82.57g||330%|
|Trans Fat 17.13g|
|Total Carbs 213.39g||57%|
|Dietary Fiber 18.7g||62%|