A friend gave us a bag of apples from their tree and so I decided to make a pie this afternoon. This is a great simple recipe and it tastes terrific!
This does yield a sweet pie so if you don't like it too sweet, I'd cut the sugar in half.
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
- Milk, half-and-half">Half & half-and-half">Half or cream for brushing on top crust
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, spices, flour, & butter. Stir to coat fruit evenly.
- Roll dough out (see recipe for pie crust), and cut out two crusts. Line a pie plate with one of the crusts.
- Spoon filling into the bottom crust, and cover with the top crust. Crimp the edges. Place the pie on a baking sheet covered with foil. Cut steam vents on top crust. Lightly brrush milk, half and half or cream on top crust. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 50 minutes. If you notice overbrowning after 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). I also cover edges of crust 1/2 way through cooking with foil if edges are getting too brown.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 133g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 61||27%|
|Total Fat 6.96g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 4.34g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.83g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|