Inspired by my Mother-in-law's favourite and super simple apple cake squares.
This is a no-fail, foolproof cake which can be made in no time at all. The bonus is that there’s no electric mixer required either.
. NON-GLUTEN version: The amount of All-Purpose Flour can also be substituted fully with the exact quantity of Sorghum flour. GF baking powder should be used as well.
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 1 cup (142g) All-Purpose flour
- . 3/4 cup (155g) granulated sugar
- . 1 tbsp. (15ml) ground cinnamon spice
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) baking powder
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) baking soda
- . pinch of salt
- . 1/2 cup (60g) raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- . 1/4 cup (40g) dried raisins (or dried cranberries)
- . 2 big apples (type McIntosh, Pink Lady etc.)
- . 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil (grape seed preferred)
- . 2 large eggs
- . Use a large, rounded 10 x 2 in. (26 x 5cm) shallow, oven-proof dish or other cake pan. Pre-heat at 350F/180C/Gas4. Position the rack on the second level from the bottom. Lightly oilil the cake dish or pan and set aside.
- . In a large bowl, place all dry ingredients. Whisk a few times to combine.
- . At this point, the apples can be peeled, cored and chopped into medium pieces. With a big spatula, toss the apples into the dry mix. Make sure they are well coated before proceeding.
- . Pour the oil and eggs over the above mix. Again with the spatula, toss and combine until no traces of flour are seen. Do not over mix...about 30 seconds is enough.
- . Pour the batter into the oiled dish and place into the oven.
- . Bake for about 45-50 minutes in a light colored baking pan or 40-45 minutes in a darker one.
- . This cake is best enjoyed at room temperature. Do not leave it out for more than two days. Big slices of cake freeze very well. If not, refrigerate the rest for no more than a week. The cake can later be lightly warmed up on very low heat for a few minutes before serving. A sprinkle of (optional) confectionary powder can be added.
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com