Classic and easy, this cake uses a simple method to make a delicious cake that keeps well on the canning shelf and acts as a wonderful gift.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cost per serving $2.19 view details
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups grated apple
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees . Lightly grease the insides of 8
- straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars. Sift together flour, baking soda,
- salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well. Add flour
- alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
- Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean. Wipe off any
- batter that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put
- on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and
- listen for them to âpingâ as they seal. If you miss the âpingâ, wait until they are
- completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesnât move at all, itâs
- Donât forget to sterilize the lid and rings.
- Unsealed jars should be eaten or kept in refrigerator for up to a week. Sealed jars
- can be stored with other canned food for up to a year.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 470g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 400||28%|
|Total Fat 45.56g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 10.11g||40%|
|Trans Fat 11.42g|
|Total Carbs 240.47g||64%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||22%|