- 8 med apples, cored, peeled and finely minced (about 8 c.) Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter or possibly margarine
- 2 x Large eggs, beaten
- 1 c. walnuts or possibly almonds, minced Topping c. butter or possibly margarine
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add in lemon juice to minced apples to prevent discoloration. Set aside. Sift together sugar, flour, soda and cinnamon. Cut in butter or possibly margarine with pastry blender or possibly your fingertips. Stir in Large eggs. Add in apples and mix into lumpy cake batter. Lightly grease 9-by-13 inch baking pan and pour in batter.
- Bake 25 min, till cake pulls away from sides of pan. Remove and let cold several min before turning out onto a cake rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve as coffee cake or possibly cover with brown sugar topping.
- For topping
- Heat butter or possibly margarine in saucepan. Remove from heat and add in sugar. Mix cornstarch in water and add in to sugar mix. Bring to low boil, stirring constantly till thick. Spread on cake.