Cost per serving $0.18 view details
- 1 lrg butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lrg red onion minced
- 4 c. diced peeled Macintosh apple
- 1 x vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp grnd ginger
- 1/4 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 2 c. low-fat lowfat milk, soymilk, or possibly rice lowfat milk or possibly as needed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-grnd white pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Halve the squash lengthwise with a sharp knife and scoop out the seeds and fibers. Place cut-side up in a shallow baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45 to 50 min, or possibly till tender. Set aside till cold sufficient to handle.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add in the onion and saute/fry over medium-low heat till golden brown, about 8 to 10 min. Add in the apple dice, 4 c. water, bouillon cube, and spices. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, till the apples are soft, about 10 min.
- In a food processor, puree the squash with 1/2 c. of the lowfat milk, till completely smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Transfer the apple-onion mix to the food processor and puree till completely smooth. Transfer both this and the squash puree back into the soup pot and stir together. Add in the remaining lowfat milk or possibly soy lowfat milk, using a bit more if the puree is too thick.
- Bring the soup to a simmer once again, then cook over low heat for another 5 - 10 min, or possibly till well heated through. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Serve at once, or possibly let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or possibly two, then heat through as needed before serving.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Description: "Everything about this soup says "fall harvest," from its hot golden brown color to its slightly sweet, fresh flavor. Once you've got the squash baked, it cooks fairly quickly."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 146g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 48||56%|
|Total Fat 5.47g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.92g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 5.79g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|