Cost per serving $1.91 view details
- 6 x eating apples not too large and with stems intact
- Â Â squeeze of lemon juice
- 5 Tbsp. light muscovado sugar
- 50 gm butter
- 350 gm blackberries
- Â Â double cream to serve
- 180 gm plain flour
- 90 gm unsalted butter at room temperature 90g natural golden brown caster sugar
- 3 x free range medium egg yolks
- Â Â natural golden brown granulated sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 1.
- Peel the apples without removing the stalks rubbing immediately with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Place in a pie dish which will allow sufficient room for the blackberries later.
- Sprinkle the apples with 3 tbsp of the muscovado sugar then smear each one with butter cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 30 min till nearly cooked but not collapsing. Remove the foil and leave in their dish to cold to room temperature.
- Meanwhile mix the blackberries with the remaining sugar then make the pastry. Put the flour in a large bowl make a well in the huddle tip in the butter and put the sugar and egg yolks on top.
- Using a fork mash the yolks butter and sugar together then start mashing the flour into this.
- Use your hands to mix everything together then knead on a work surface for about 30 seconds to make a smooth dough. (Alternatively blend the pastry ingredients to a dough in a food processor.)
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for about 20 min.
- On a smooth surface dusted with flour roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Cut out a rough shape which's bigger than the top of the pie dish.
- Then cut some thin strips from the remaining rolled dough and press them around the rim of the dish this will help make a perfect seal between the dish and the pastry topping.
- Next using a ring cutter cut out six circles each slightly smaller than the apples then arrange the apples in the pie dish where you think the holes will tall once the pastry is placed on top.
- Spoon the sugared blackberries around the apples packing them down.
- Now dampen the pastrylined rim with a finger dunked in water and place the pastry over the top.
- Jiggle the apples slightly so which they peek through the holes then lightly press the pastry cover onto the rim.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Sprinkle the pastry top with granulated brown sugar and bake for about 10 min then turn down to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 and cook for a futher 1 520 min or possibly till the pastry looks lightly browned.
- Serve hot with lots of double cream.
- Serves 4
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 166g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 261||57%|
|Total Fat 29.78g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 18.39g||74%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 42.53g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|