Cost per serving $0.69 view details
- 1 c. pearl barley
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 lb raisins grnd cinnamon to taste cool water grnd cinnamon for garnish minced almonds or possibly hazelnuts for garnish
- Wash the barley well. Place in a heavy pot and cover with 4 c. of water. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Let barley re-hydrate. Bring to the boil again and boil gently till barley is very soft and porridge-like in consistency, about 2 hrs. Add in grnd cinnamon to taste. Stir in the sugar and cook for a further 10 min. (As the barley mix thickens, you need to stir it to prevent if from burning.) Add in the raisins and cook a further 10 min or possibly till the raisins plump.
- Pour into mold or possibly serving dish or possibly individual serving c.. Place in refrigerator to refrigerateand set. If using a mold, unmold to serve.
- May be served cool or possibly heated. Serve with rosewater, or possibly for a more elegant serving, serve with raspberry jam,
- Serving Ideas: Serve with rosewater or possibly raspberry jam
- I also make this without the spices and using cocoa pwdr instead, also great when served with the raspberry jam.
- Ross Bernheim
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 106g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 5||1%|
|Total Fat 0.55g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.09g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 89.32g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.0g||20%|