- 1 c. cake flour
- 1 1/2 c. sugar or possibly confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 c. egg whites
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. cool water
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp salt Chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds, toasted Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift, then measure the cake flour. Add in and re-sift 1/2 c. of the sugar to the flour 6 times.
- In a separate large bowl combine the egg whites, water, cream of tartar, vanilla, almond extract and salt. Beat till stiff but not dry. Stop while the mix is still glossy.
- Mix in, about 2 Tbsp. at a time, the remaining 1 c. of the sugar.
- Then mix in the dry ingredients lightly, a little at a time, with a rubber spatula.
- Bake batter in an ungreased tube pan for about 45 min. To cold, place cake upside down on top of an inverted funnel with the spout inserted in the center of the tube.
- Pour frosting over angel cake, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle a generous portion of toasted sliced almonds on top immediately so they adhere to frosting. Allow cake to sit for an hour or possibly two to allow the frosting to set up. Cut gingerly with serrated knife.