American Beef Stew Recipe
Delicious Bowl of American Beef Stew
Recipe based on several revisions, adding this/that until it was right.
Easiest done in a Dutch Oven on top of the stove or in the oven.
- 3 lbs. chuck roast cut in 1 1/2" cubes, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4-5 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 4 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 medium red or Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry California red wine
- 2 tbs. Worcestershire
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbs. chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut the veggies, saute in oil until lightly browned, add garlic, cook 30 seconds
Toss the beef cubes with flour (lightly coat).
Brown cubes in oil, drain on paper towel lined plates.
Pour wine into pot, followed by the broth, bay leaves and thyme.
Bring to a boil, add beef, cover and simmer stovetop or put in 350 F oven for one hour, or until meat is tender.
Add the carrots, potatoes and celery. Cook until the veggies are tender.
Add peas and parsley.
Best served second day.
How good does this recipe look to you?