Cost per serving $0.43 view details
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. chilled unsalted butter - (2 sticks) cut 1/2" pcs
- 6 Tbsp. ice water or possibly more if neded
- 8 ounce bacon crosscut 1/4" strips
- 1 1/2 lb onions minced
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour plus
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. whole lowfat milk
- 3 lrg egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1/8 tsp grnd nutmeg Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- For crust: Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add in butter and cut in using on/off turns till mix resembles coarse meal. Add in 6 Tbsp. water and process using on/off turns till mix forms moist clumps, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball. Shape into log. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut dough crosswise into 12 equal slices. Roll out each slice on lightly floured surface to 6-inch round. Transfer each round to 4-inch-diameter tartlet pan with removable bottom. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan. Trim off excess dough. Pierce bottom with fork. Chill 10 min. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- For filling: Saute/fry bacon in large pot over medium heat till brown, about 9 min. Throw away all but 3 Tbsp. drippings from bacon. Add in onions to bacon and saute/fry till tender, about 8 min. Cold.
- Heat butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and stir 2 min (don't brown). Gradually whisk in lowfat milk. Increase heat to medium-high and boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Whisk yolks in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in warm sauce. Fold in onion mix, salt, pepper and nutmeg. (Filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cold slightly, then cover and chill.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tartlets on baking sheet and bake till golden, pressing bottom and sides with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 18 min. Cold slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spoon filling (about 1/4 c.) into each tartlet. Bake till tops begin to brown, about 20 min. Transfer tartlets to racks and cold slightly. Remove from pans. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- This recipe yields 12 tartlets.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 146g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 182||56%|
|Total Fat 20.68g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 12.59g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.12g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|