I've never understood why I could not find these most favorite of muffins without actual almonds baked in. Luckily it's a simple fix and so that's what I've done here. The extra crunch of almond is worth it and if you prefer another type of nut, don't hesitate to substitute the same amount.
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 8 Tbs Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, room temp
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat pan(s) of choice with baking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds; set aside.
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and almond past on medium speed until smooth and light (3-4 minutes). Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- 5. Reduce speed to very low and alternate adding the flour mixture and milk; ending with the flour; mix just until incorporated.
- 6. Fold in chopped hazelnuts; using an ice cream sized muffin scoop, fill the muffin tins, or pour into a loaf pan.
- 7. Bake muffins approx 25 minutes and loaf pan approx 45-50 or until done.
- 8. Cool on wire racks before removing from pans.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 60g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 49||26%|
|Total Fat 5.78g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.89g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 31.21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|