Cost per recipe $11.10 view details
- Â Â SUCCES
- 2 c. Slice Almonds
- 3/4 c. + 2 Tsp Superfine Sugar
- 7 lrg Egg white, room temperature
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- Â Â GANACHE
- 12 ounce Bittersweet chocolate
- 1Â 1/4 c. Creme Fraiche, (or possibly heavy cream)
- Â Â Cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, place the almonds and 3/4 c. sugar and process till the almonds are finely grated.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites till foamy, add in the cream of tartar, and beat till soft peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Gradually add in the remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar, beating till stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly. Mix in the grated almond mix.
- Using a 1-gallon zip-seal bag with one corner cut off, or possibly a pastry bag fitted with a large plain number 6 (1/2 inch) tip, pipe the batter onto the prepared baking sheets to create three 8-inch circles, starting with the perimeter and spiraling inward toward the center.
- Use a small metal spatula to fill in any gaps with the leftover batter and to smooth the surface. Bake for 15 to 20 min, or possibly just till the discs begin to brown.
- Remove baking sheets to a rack. Loosen the succes from the sheets, and allow them to cold completely on the sheets before transferring to a work surface or possibly serving plate. The will, have expanded to about 9 inches.
- To obtain a perfect circle, invert a cake pan over the succes and trim any excess with a sharp knife.
- Rose says: Use superfine sugar (Castor) for the best texture. It is not actually necessary to use flour on the baking pan to keep it from sticking; however, the flour does have the desirable effect of keeping the succes from spreading.
- The recipe makes three discs. Freeze one for another use, or possibly, if you like, to make a higher cake. Make extra ganache (1 lb. chocolate; 1 2/3 c. cream) and use the third disc to create another layer. the original version makes a very low, European style cake.
- Break the chocolate into pcs and process in a food processor till very fine.
- Heat the creme fraiche to the boiling point, and with the motor running, pour it through the feed tube in a steady stream. Process a few seconds till smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cold for several hrs, till it reaches frosting consistency. In cold weather ganache can remain unrefrigerated for at least 3 days or possibly as long as 2 weeks.
- At room temperature it remains spreadable.
- ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
- Place one disc of the succes on a cardboard round or possibly serving plate, and top with an even layer of about two thirds of the chocolate ganache. Place the second disc on top, flat side up. Chill for at least one hour.
- Using a long metal spatula, spread the remaining ganache proportionately on top of the succes and a thin layer around the sides.
- Place a few Tbsp. of cocoa in a flour dredger or possibly fine strainer, and sprinkle it proportionately over the top of the succes. For decorative markings lightly press a cake rake on top of the cocoa and lift away carefully.
- Airtight, 5 days refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
- Almond Meringue layer cake filled with chocolate ganache and dusted with cocoa.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 860g|
|Calories from Fat 2113||70%|
|Total Fat 249.9g||312%|
|Saturated Fat 123.6g||494%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 218.77g||58%|
|Dietary Fiber 65.8g||219%|