Cost per serving $2.68 view details
- 125 gm fresh wholewheat or possibly white breadcrumbs
- Â Â lowfat milk
- 1 sm leek very finely sliced
- 4 Tbsp. mildly flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 500 gm mixed white fish fillets such as hoki haddock plaice or possibly sole skinned
- 1 lrg egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp. tarragon freshly minced
- 1 Tbsp. parsley freshly minced
- 1 x salt and white pepper
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Â Â salad leaves to serve
- 50 gm fresh wholewheat or possibly white breadcrumbs
- 50 gm grnd almonds
- Soak the breadcrumbs for the fish cakes in lowfat milk for a few min to soften them then squeeze them dry and throw away the lowfat milk.
- Cook the leek in 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan for 4 to 5 min on the floor of the roasting ovenuntil just soft but not browned.
- Cut the fish into 6mm dice (this is important as the fish is not precooked in this recipe).
- Mix with the breadcrumbs leek and all the other ingredients adding just sufficient mayonnaise to give a soft but manageable mix.
- Mix the almonds and breadcrumbs for the coating together.
- Divide the fish mix into twelve and shape firmly into cakes coating them in the almond crumbs.
- Press the crumbs firmly into the surface of the cakes and dont use flour on your hands unless absolutely necessary.
- Heat the remaining oil in the leek pan on the floor of the roasting oventhen add in the fish cakes and cook them for 4 to 5 min on each side again on the floor of the oven.
- The fish cakes will dcmbtless need to be conked in two batches so keep the first lot hot in the simmering ovenwhile cooking the others.
- Serve immediately with a small tossed salad
- I think these are the best fish cakes 1 have ever made they are light and the finely diced fish lends an interesting texture instead of the usual mush. I strongly recommend using some New Zealand hoki that is available from most fish counters it has a good hard flesh that contrasts well with other more local white fish.
- Serves 4
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 199g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 196||42%|
|Total Fat 22.17g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 3.46g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.31g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|