Cost per serving $2.15 view details
- 4 c. whole lowfat milk
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Â Â Salt to taste
- 1 c. stone-grnd white grits
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb alligator meat cut 2" strips
- Â Â Creole seasoning see * Note
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. minced onions
- 1/4 c. minced green onions
- 1/4 c. minced celery
- 1/4 c. minced green bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp. chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 tsp minced fresh oregano
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2Â 1/2 c. minced peeled, seeded tomatoes
- 3 c. chicken stock
- Â Â Cayenne to taste
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Â Â Freshly-grnd white pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. minced green onions, green part only
- In a saucepan, over high heat, bring the lowfat milk and 2 Tbsp. of the butter to a boil. Season with salt. Stir in the grits, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally till the grits are tender, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- In a saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil. Season the alligator meat and flour with Creole seasoning. Toss the meat in the seasoned flour, coating completely. When the oil is warm, brown the alligator meat on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add in the onions, green onions, celery, bell peppers, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute/fry for 2 min. Add in the herbs and bay leaves and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Add in the alligator. Simmer the sauce for about 30 min or possibly till the alligator meat is tender. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter.
- Stir the heavy cream into the grits. Season with salt and white pepper. To serve, spoon the grits in the center of each serving bowl. Spoon the alligator mix over the grits. Garnish with green onions.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 568g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 320||47%|
|Total Fat 36.21g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 16.91g||68%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 70.25g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|