This is another that I will send to my friend Ron in MA who is of Albanian descent.
Cost per serving $4.09 view details
- 1 lrg Minced onion
- 3 Tbsp. Salad oil
- 7 c. (about 3-1/2 pounds) liquid removed sauerkraut
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp Caraway seeds
- 6 x Roasting chicken
- Â Â Salt and pepper as desired
- Here's another recipe that is a great favorite of ours, and that I clipped from a newspaper (Washington Post) about 15 years ago. It's called
- "Albanian Chicken", although I've never seen an Albanian Cookbook, and have never seen another Albanian recipe, it seems like something my great grandmother would have cooked. The use of sauerkraut as a stuffing seems weird, but is characteristic of Middle European cooking. You often find it mixed with apples...here it's mixed with paprika and caraway seeds. The stuffing is sensationally delicious, and the chicken comes out extremely tender, every time. This is a recipe you have to cook to understand.
- Saute/fry onion in oil till golden brown, stirring often. Combine sauerkraut, paprika, and caraway seeds with onion. Spoon as much kraut mix as possible into the body cavity of the chicken. Reserve remainder of kraut for later
- Place chicken on roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1-1/2 hrs. Remove pan from oven, take chicken out. Pour off fat in bottom of pan. Spread remaining kraut in bottom of pan and set chicken in pan. Bake another 1/2 to 1 hour to brown. Season as desired.
- Leftovers make great sliced chicken and sauerkraut sandwiches.
- (If your mail program renders the times weird looking, they're 1.5 hurs for baking, and .5 to 1 hour for browning. The "1/2 " is ASCII 189 and= represents "1/2" in US English.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1264g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1738||64%|
|Total Fat 192.79g||241%|
|Saturated Fat 54.34g||217%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.09g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|