Cost per recipe $1.11 view details
- 1 lrg Bunch beets ( about 1-1/2lbs)
- 3/4 c. White vinegar (I use rice vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar (I use fructose)
- 6 x Allspice berries
- 4 whl cloves
- 1 x Bay leaf
- The three of us love this pickled beet recipe from Farm House Cookbook.
- 1. Trim beet stems, leaving 1/2 inch of stem intact. Don't trim roots.
- 2. Bring water to a boil in the bottom of a vegetable steamer. Add in beets, cover, and steam till nearly tender but still offer resistance when tested with a sharp knife about 15 to 20 min. Remove steamer basket from heat.
- 3. While beets are steaming, combine vinegar, sugar, spices, and herbs in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and keep hot.
- 4. When beets are cold sufficient to handle, carefully scrape off the skin, trim the stem and root ends. Slice the beets into 1/8 inch thick slices and place in glass bowl. Cover with hot vinegar mix and set aside to cold.
- When cold, cover and chill for at least 24 hrs before using. They will keep for about 3 weeks.
- Makes 2 c.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 266g|
|Calories from Fat 7||4%|
|Total Fat 0.83g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.22g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.34g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|