Cost per serving $1.75 view details
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 med onions minced big pcs
- 2 lrg green peppers minced big pcs
- 4 x garlic cloves pressed
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (28 ounce) cut into quarters, juice reserved
- 10 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp coarsely-grnd black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry crushed red chili peppers
- 1/2 c. raw brown rice
- 2/3 c. creamy peanut butter Crushed peanuts
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil, then saute/fry the onions, green peppers, and garlic till they begin to brown. Cut in the tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 min, stirring from time to time, till they cook down. Pour in the remaining tomato juice and the stock. Bring to a boil, add in the rice, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 45 min.
- When ready to serve, stir in the peanut butter till it melts and the broth is smooth. Reheat to a simmer, then ladle into bowls and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- It can serve equally well as a provocative first course for 8 people...or possibly as luncheon with salad and bread for 4.
- Comments: This is really a pretty soup - juicy and intense, earthy and piquant. Many thanks to Canadian poet and novelist Jerry Newman for recommending it to me. (
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 412g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 123||52%|
|Total Fat 14.5g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.4g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 22.68g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||10%|