Unbelievably easy to make and soooo delicious. Ready to serve in 35 minutes. Not only tasty, it’s nutritious and beautiful to look at. Our tasters agreed this was one of the best dinners they’d had in a while. It has a wonderful blend of flavors and spices including a hint of cinnamon. We’re serving this sweet and savory stew over whole wheat couscous. The skinny on one serving is 382 calories, 5.7g fat and an amazing 9 grams of fiber! With so much fiber, this stew will keep you full for hours. You’ll really look forward to the leftovers too. Definitely a keeper!
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 9
SKINNY FACTS: for one serving
382 calories, 5.7g fat, 27g protein, 56g carbs, 9g fiber, 470mg sodium, 11g sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Â½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (1 large) onion, chopped into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1Â¼ cup water
- â cup raisins
- â cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half (about 10)
- 1Â¼ cups uncooked whole wheat couscous
- Â½ tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Ligh
- In a bowl, combine the flour, spices and salt. Add chicken pieces and coat with mixture. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and cook for about 4-5 minutes until tender. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Coat the same pan with a little cooking spray. Add the chicken pieces and cook quickly, stirring often, until no longer pink. Add back the onions, undrained tomatoes, beans, water, raisins and olives. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While chicken is simmering, cook the couscous. Bring 1Â¼ cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in 1Â¼ cups couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light.
- For each serving, scoop Â½ cup couscous in a bowl or plate and top with 1Â¼ cups stew. Sprinkle a little cilantro on top, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 247g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 35||11%|
|Total Fat 4.02g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.09g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 48.25g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.9g||20%|