OK, so tomatoes are a fruit, correct? And we all know that kiwis are a fruit as well, correct? What if the two of them met each other in a most unlikely venue, say a salad? And let's say that these silly little capers decided to butt in and mix things up. Before you knew it, there was a flavor party brewing, somebody said Happy New Year, and confetti parsley came raining down on all of them.It wasn't long til they were drenched by Miss Virgin Olive Oil and and a new beau, Monsieur Balsamic. It need not be said that it would certainly be a fun time to be had by all!
Well, once you get your first mouthful of this wonderful salad recipe, your taste buds will certainly be screaming "Party Time"! The combination of flavors simply play well together with the blend of sweet from the kiwi, the mild acidity of tomatoes, and the tartness of the capers, all complimented by the sweet balsamic. A good quality olive oil simply ties everything together in a bouquet of aromas that will make you think it's summer again in the North and a reaffirmation that it really is summer in the South.
This salad works perfectly well as an appetizer, entree, or just an afternoon snack accompanied by a slice of garlic and rosemary bread and a nice flute of champagne. From Aussies to Yankees, this will surely please the palate!
- 3 Kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced and halved
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together until well mixed. You can play with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar to adjust to your taste. The flavors truly are wonderful together and the dish works well as an appetizer or dessert after a lite lunch. Enjoy.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 187g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 94||63%|
|Total Fat 10.67g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1.46g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.66g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|