In our home, pancakes are a rare and exceptional treat. When we do make pancakes, it’s always from scratch and rarely the same recipe.
This pancake recipe however, may just be our new go-to. It is THE perfect combo of sweet and sour with its fluffy, moist, and irresistible consistency. Top it all off with a dollop of Sweet Sour Cream Filling and you’re set.
I feel it would be a tad cliché to say these pancakes are like ‘a party in your mouth.’ The joyful experience remains indescribable. So, let’s quit the idle chitchat. Just try these pancakes and you’ll see exactly what we're raving about.
~Inspired by Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2011~
- Ingredients for Sour Cream Pancakes:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- Â¼ cup cornmeal
- 2Â½ tablespoons sugar
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon baking powder
- Â½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sour milk, (2 cups milk plus 1Â½ tablespoon white vinegar)
- Â½ cup sour cream
- Ingredients for Sweet Sour Cream Filling:
- 1cup sour cream
- Zest of Â½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Â¼ cup raisins soaked in 1 tablespoon of rum extract
- Maple syrup & powdered sugar for garnish
- In medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the Sweet Sour Cream Filling.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another large bowl, whisk together sour milk, egg yolks and sour cream. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. In a large, clean stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold them into the batter. Make sure to let the batter rest for about 5 minutes before making pancakes.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet, or griddle, with butter. Drop Â¼-cup dollops of batter and cook over moderately high heat. Cook approximately 2 minutes per side, until golden on each side and fluffy. Serves about 3 pancakes per person.
- To serve, layer each pancake with about a tablespoon of Sweet Sour Cream Filling. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy!!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 133g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 71||32%|
|Total Fat 8.02g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4.34g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.61g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|