Cost per serving $5.99 view details
- On your shopping list:
- Cake ingredients:
- Refined sugar â 1 Â½ cups (you can also use powdered sugar as it will dissolve fast)
- All-purpose flour â 2 cups
- Shortening â 1 cup
- Fresh buttermilk â 1 cup
- Cocoa powder â 4 tablespoons
- Baking powder â 2 tablespoons
- Grated cooking chocolate â Â½ cup
- Eggs â 2
- Mixed fruit essence â Â½ teaspoon
- Frosting ingredients:
- Dark and white cooking chocolate â 2 cups
- Icing sugar â 3 cups
- Butter at room temperature â 425 grams
- Vanilla essence â 4 drops
- To prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C.
- Take two 9 inch baking pans and grease them with a little butter.
- Break the eggs into a deep bowl, then add the shortening and use an electric blender to blend them together until the mix becomes fluffy.
- Add the butter to the mix and beat some more so that the butter is well mixed.
- Pour the buttermilk and the mixed fruit essence in the mix and beat the batter well to get a frothy white liquid.
- Add the grated cooking chocolate to the mix and fold in the batter.
- Add the cocoa powder and baking powder. Blend this mix using an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Now add the flour to the mix, one tablespoon at a time, and beat at medium speed until the flour is completely mixed with the batter.
- Mix the baking powder into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pans and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting:
- Melt the butter and chocolate over a double boiler.
- Remove from the heat and cool before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla essence and mix well to get a mix of spreading consistency.
- Once the cake has cooled down and the frosting is ready, all you have to do is assemble it:
- Spread a layer of frosting on the top of one cake.
- Stack the second cake on top of the first cake.
- Cover all the sides of the cake with a thick layer of the remaining chocolate frosting.
- Let the cake set in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 334g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 681||48%|
|Total Fat 77.46g||97%|
|Saturated Fat 29.0g||116%|
|Trans Fat 13.7g|
|Total Carbs 170.71g||46%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||16%|