Cost per serving $2.16 view details
- Butter for coating pans
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 3/4 c. cake flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa (preferably Dutch process)
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 3/4 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 lrg egg whites room temperature (you may want to save yolks to use in the frosting)
- 14 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (1 3/4 sticks) melted, but not warm
- 1/2 c. egg substitute (or possibly 4 egg yolks [left over from cake], with sufficient lowfat milk added to equal 1/2 c., plus additional lowfat milk, if necessary)
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 4 ounce unsweetened chocolate melted
- 3 c. confectioners' sugar (sifted if it contains hard lumps)
- 4 tsp light corn syrup
- 2 x eight-inch cake pans
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease the cake pans with butter and dust with flour.
- Whisk sugar, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Place cocoa and coffee in a medium bowl. Whisk in 3/4 c. boiling water to create a smooth paste. Stir in lowfat sour cream and vanilla and set aside.
- With a hand mixer in a medium bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Without cleaning beaters, mix melted butter into dry ingredients till mix is smooth. Immediately add in cocoa mix, and beat till batter is smooth, 2 to 3 min. Carefully fold egg whites into batter till just incorporated.
- Divide batter proportionately between pans and bake till a skewer inserted into center comes out with wet crumbs, 30 to 35 min. Remove from oven, and let cakes sit in pans to cold slightly, about 5 min. Invert each cake onto a plate, then onto a cooling rack and split each cake to make 4 layers. Frost with Chocolate Frosting and serve.
- Creamy Double Chocolate Frosting: Mix egg substitute or possibly yolks, cocoa, coffee, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl with a whisk.
- Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer till light and fluffy. Add in melted chocolate and cocoa mix; continue to beat till smooth. Add in confectioners' sugar, 1 c. at a time, beating slowly at first, till sugar has been incorporated into mix, then at medium speed till frosting is light and fluffy. Add in corn syrup, and beat till frosting is smooth and glossy. If frosting is still stiff, add in droplets of lowfat milk till it is of spreading consistency. (Frosting can be refrigerated for up to 1 week and microwaved for a few seconds till just spreadable).
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 347g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 517||42%|
|Total Fat 59.27g||74%|
|Saturated Fat 35.7g||143%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 169.73g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.0g||23%|