We’ve got a terrific way to celebrate Spring. Bake a fabulous 7-up cake. This nostalgic cake has been popular since the 1950’s. It’s a true Southern treat and a soul food favorite. It’s so moist with just enough lemon-lime flavor without being overpowering. Adding soda to a cake instead of water creates a light and airy consistency. We’re starting with a mix and making ours skinny by using diet 7-up, a small amount of canola oil and applesauce for the fat and using both eggs and whites. Take a trip down memory lane with this fantastic cake. What a delicious way to welcome the new Spring season.
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
Skinny Facts: for 1 slice
252 calories, 7.7g fat, 3g protein, 44g carbs, 0g fiber, 311mg sodium, 11g sugar
- Cake Ingredients
- 1 (18.25 oz) box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
- 1(3.4 oz) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (12 oz) can diet 7-up soda
- â cup unsweetened applesauce (1 snack pack)
- Â¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice, about 3 limes
- 2 eggs, we like Egglandâs Best eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Glaze Ingredients
- 1Â½ cups powdered sugar
- 1Â½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1Â½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- 1 drop green food coloring
- Thin slices of a lemon and lime for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray with flour.
- In an electric mixer or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, add all the cake ingredients except the eggs and egg whites. Mix until blended. Add all the eggs and mix until blended. Turn the mixer to high and beat for about a minute or 2 until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the coated Bundt pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 55-6o minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen all the sides and center of cake and turn the cake over onto a plate.
- Let the cake cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar, lemon and lime juice and corn syrup. Mix until very smooth. The glaze should be thick. Divide the glaze into three small dishes. Leave the glaze in one of the dishes white. Add 1 drop of yellow food coloring to one of the dishes and mix well. Add 1 drop of green food coloring to the other dish and mix well.
- Drizzle the white glaze all around the top of the cooled cake. Nest, drizzle the yellow glaze over the top of the cake. Finally, drizzle the green glaze over the top of the cake.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 77||29%|
|Total Fat 8.71g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.22g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 46.61g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|