Cost per serving $1.80 view details
- 2 lb ground beef (also works with ground Turkey or Soy Meat)
- 1 - medium onion, diced
- 1 - taco seasoning packet
- 2 - 15oz can of Pinto Beans
- 1 - 15oz can of Black Beans
- 1 - 15oz can of Corn
- 2 - 28oz ea of Mexican style (or Italian works too) stewed tomatoes
- 1 - 7oz can of diced green chilies
- optional additions, depending on what you have available:
- sliced black olives
- kidney beans
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Corn chips (like Fritos scoops)
- I make this entire meal in 1 large pot. Brown meat and onions together. Drain fat.
- While meat is browning, get out your strainer. Toss the pinto beans, corn and black beans into the strainer. Rinse in cold water until the residue from the black beans is gone.
- Now add the contents of the strainer (pinto beans, corn & black beans) to your browned meat. Then add the 2 cans of stewed tomatoes (do not drain), along with the Taco seasoning packet. I generally fill up 1 of the tomato cans full water and add to the soup. But you can add as much or little as you want to get your desired consistency. Now stir it up, bring to a simmer and let the flavors meld for about 15-20 mins.
- Top individual bowls with grated cheese and sour cream. Use the 'scoop' corn chips in lieu of a spoon, or just crumble them on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Now if your house is like mine, where most of us are meat eaters, but one is a vegetarian, do what I do. In a separate sauce pan, put some soy meat and a few sprinkles of the taco seasoning, then reserve a portion of all remaining ingredients and add to the soy meat mixture. Simmer and serve!
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 470g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 302||36%|
|Total Fat 33.81g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 12.39g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 84.6g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 19.3g||64%|