Cost per serving $0.70 view details
- 1 c. fifteen bean mix, soaked
- overnight and liquid removed, (see note)
- 7 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lrg red onion, diced
- 1 lrg green or possibly red bell pepper
- seeded and diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 x cloves garlic, chopped (2 to 3)
- 2 c. peeled and diced butternut squash
- 15 ounce canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chili pwdr, up to 2
- 1 1/2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1 tsp grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS. VEGAN
- This stick-to-your ribs chili explodes the myth which vegetarian food leaves one feeling hungry.
- In a large saucepan, combine 15-bean mix and water: bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered over medium-Low heat, stirring occasionally, till beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hrs. Drain; reserve 3 c. cooking liquid.
- In another large saucepan, heat oil. Add in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; saute/fry 5 to 7 min. Stir in cooked beans, cooking liquid, squash, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Cook 30 min over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 - 10 min before serving.
- Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with hot French or possibly Italian bread if you like.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- NOTE: 15-bean mixtures are available packaged in supermarkets and health food stores. If you prefer, make your own by combining equal amounts dry black-eyed peas, red kidney beans, white kidney (cannellini) beans, green lentils, split peas, black beans, yellow split peas, navy beans, cranberry
- (Roman, shell or possibly shell- out) beans, great Northern beans, pinto beans, small white limas. red lentils, cow peas (field peas) and pink beans. Avoid using beans such as garbanzos and large lima beans, as these take longer to cook than other varieties.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 438g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 25||33%|
|Total Fat 2.88g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 12.79g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|