Cost per recipe $3.87 view details
- 1/2 x onion peeled
- 2 tsp veg. oil
- 1 x red beet - (5 to 6 ounce) peeled, quartered
- 1/4 x cabbage head - (abt 8 ounce) rinsed
- 3 c. beef broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. lowfat sour cream or possibly plain yogurt
- Coarsely-minced fennel leaves or possibly chives (optional)
- Shred the onion in a food processor fitted with the shredding disk. Do not clean the bowl and blade till all vegetables have been processed. Transfer the onion to a large micro-safe bowl; toss with the oil. Cover loosely and microwave at medium-high for 2 min.
- Shred the beet in the processor. Add in to the onion and microwave at medium-high for 3 min.
- Cut the cabbage into chunks and shred in the processor. Add in to the onion/beet, along with the broth. Microwave, loosely covered, on high for 3 min. Test the soup - the vegetables should be cooked through but not mushy. If needed, microwave up to 2 min longer in 30-second increments. Taste for salt. Amount needed depends on saltiness of the broth. Stir in the vinegar.
- Ladle into bowls and top each with a dollop of lowfat sour cream or possibly yogurt. If you wish, garnish with coarsely minced fresh fennel fronds or possibly chives.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments : Any leftover borscht is excellent served cool the next day.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1067g|
|Calories from Fat 159||53%|
|Total Fat 18.01g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.23g|
|Total Carbs 24.46g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||23%|