Cost per recipe $3.88 view details
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 c. soy flour
- 3 c. unbleached white flour
- 4 Tbsp. soy grits
- 5 Tbsp. gluten, wheat
- 2 pkt active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 c. soy lowfat milk warmed slightly
- cooking spray or possibly oil
- There's more waiting than work involved with this bread. Grits add in a cracked wheat-like quality and the whole wheat is a nice addition, too. For a change of pace, next time shape dough into rolls or possibly bread sticks, just decrease baking time a bit to allow for smaller shapes.
- 1. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flours, grits, gluten, yeast, sugar, and salt to distribute proportionately.
- 2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, pour in soy lowfat milk, and stir together quickly to mix. Knead slightly with back of spoon, just sufficient to combine well and to moisten all of the dry ingredients. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then a towel, and let rise in a hot place for 1 hour. Stir down, cover again, and let rise again, till double. This may take another hour or possibly more, depending on temperature in your kitchen. Do not rush it. This one is a slow riser, but worth it.
- 3. Spray or possibly oil baking sheets or possibly line with parchment. After second rise, divide dough into halves, then quarters. Shape each quarter into either a long, slender baguette, 4 large rolls, or possibly 8 thin sticks. Place on prepared sheets, brush tops with a pastry brush dipped in hot water, and slash top, if you like. Cover with a towel and set in a hot place to rise for about an hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 min, watching carefully to prevent over browning. Remove to a rack to cold.
- Makes 16 servings: 4 baguettes, 16 rolls, or possibly 32 breadsticks .
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1063g|
|Calories from Fat 1018||24%|
|Total Fat 116.19g||145%|
|Saturated Fat 16.91g||68%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 564.89g||151%|
|Dietary Fiber 94.0g||313%|